Sunday, July 11, 2010

Embroidered landscape

Tomorrow we start our embroidered landscape workshop will Anna Lang.  It is being held as part of the Bribie Island Arts Festival.  This past week I was wanting to dye my background fabrics but as I use Dala solar resist paints, I needed some sunshine.  Fortunately Friday proved to be the only sunny day of the week and I had just enough time to get the fabrics dry before the cloud cover came over again. 






I am using this photo taken at the Pyramids in Girraween National Park. I grew up in this area and we used to climb the easier pyramid, and also go on walks around the area, quite frequently.












My dyed fabrics for the background of the embroidery needed to reflect these colours.  We will be using paints, inktense pencils, etc, and of course our embroidery to add to the colours.  Hopefully the fabrics I have will work out well.




It took some trial and error to achieve the eucalypt colours, but I was happy with the colour I got for the granite rock in the foreground. I used salt to give a textured effect like the granite, and that worked out well.











 I am looking forward to embroidering the wattle to give life to the work.  Tomorrow we will prepare the fabric background, and I guess we will start on the embroidery if we have time. 

Anna does beautiful work and is a very good teacher.  I went to a Gold Work workshop that she taught last year.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I think your fabric colours are just perfect and look forward to seeing how it comes together, especially how you go about stitching the wattle.
Cheers Dianne.